Saturday, February 09, 2008

The Manchester Poetry Prize

MMU's writing school has just announced a poetry prize, closing date in September, for which you submit a portfolio of poems - to be followed next year, and perhaps of more interest to me, by a fiction prize. Though laudable, and with a substantial prize, £10,000, I was intrigued reading the small print, that the "portfolio" is between 3 and 5 poems, up to a maximum of 120 lines. With an entrance fee of £15, I guess its all right for the sonneteer, not so for the balladeer; and the long poem I wrote this week breaks the limits all on its own. On poetry competitions generally, I've not much confidence, having never come close to being shortlisted. There's something of a lottery about them, a winner takes all mentality, that's perhaps a little too competitive, that seems almost antithetical to what makes a good poem. Worth a punt, but nothing more. In this instance, the international nature of the competition and the high profile institution awarding it, will no doubt lead to them being swamped with entries. When I've been choosing poems myself either to send somewhere or to include in a magazine, I'm a bit like Philip Larkin, who, when asked how he chose which poems of his own to include in an anthology, said he would pick 'n' mix, one funny, one sad, one long, one short; but I'd imagine here that the judges will be looking for the consistency of work, so send in your very best.

2 comments:

Dave King said...

Missed this post last time around. Sorry to be so tardy. Two points to make, the most important being the screening that occurs in most competitions: committees of experts producing short list for the advertised poet(s) to consider. The other point I am not so sure about, but have often come across the complaint that the judges are friends giving each other prizes. I am sure that it is not as bad as that sounds, but is there a grain of truth...

Adrian said...

The truth is, Dave, that I think if its a massive entry, then the named judges never see the majority of entries, and then, yes, even though I don't tend to think there's that much conspiracy that goes on, there's probably more than a little consensus about what makes a "winnable poem". I don't think it ever does anything for the art - so, you have to ask, what's the point? Nobody's ever asked me to be a judge, by the way!